Friday, October 17, 2008

Kanji of the Week - Hime

Love of anime often turns into love for Japanese culture and language. Many otaku have a desire to learn more about Japan and Japanese. With that in mind...

Here we go with our first Kanji of the week. Each week I will be posting a new word with the Kanji symbol to match. I will be choosing words that have some application to the world of anime, for some of you these will probably be pretty basic, but let's all learn together! Otaku rejoice!

Here is a word that we hear often in anime...

Hime
"Princess"





Examples:

My-Hime - anime series
Bara-hime - character in Saiunkoku Monogatari
Mononoke Hime - Japanese romanization word for the movie Princess Mononoke
Kaguya-Hime - Japanese folk tale of the Bamboo Princess - Considered by many to be the oldest Japanese folk tale in existence.

Enjoy your new word. Click on the links for more information about anime and cultural examples using this Kanji.

1 comment:

MrProfGenius said...

This is also one of my favourites Kanji too, and "My Hime" is one of my favourites Anime. You right, this Kanji mostly related with Princess in Japanese culture.