Friday, October 17, 2008

Makoto Shinkai

I have a new favorite director. Ok, actually I never had an OLD favorite director, but that's beside the point. I have absolutely fallen in love with the art this man produces.

Anime as art form. We won't even get into the arguments "for" or "against" that one. Besides, I'm pretty sure where I stand on that subject.

But back to Mr. Shinkai. His works have a truly transcendent beauty. The backgrounds and scenery are breathtaking and a sight to behold. What I find interesting about his anime is that it is not particularly story-driven. Yes there is a story, don't get me wrong. But the purpose of the anime is not so much to tell you a story, as it is to arouse specific emotions. The viewer is subtly immersed in certain moods, or feelings through atmosphere, music, and visuals. The narrative is not propelled through speech but by feeling. It is wholly about feelings.

To describe one of his anime ... lets say 5 centimeters per second words like melancholy, loneliness, hope, youth and love come to my mind much more readily than plot points. When you think back on the movie your mind presents you with images, not necessarily with words or actions. The depth of emotion and atmosphere conveyed is truly remarkable and I'm so impressed. The only annoyance is my inability to accurately write what I mean here. I feel like I'm just not doing it justice.

That being said. I'm going to post one of his short anime . It is just plain lovely and sweet. It is titled: She and her cat. It doesn't have the weight that his movies do, but it's pretty darn adorable all the same.





I am also posting a trailer to the movie 5 centimeters per second which will give you a good impression of how lovely his artwork is.



Curse YouTube for it's awful resolution. Watch and enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

seriously, i love MS. i am just waiting for him to do more and i am there...